The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Monday, July 6, 2009

Tlacolula

Sunday is market day in Tlacolula, a town to the east of Oaxaca just past the Zapotec weaving of Teotitlan del Vaille. It is one of the oldest markets not only in Mexico, but in the Americas. The area has been settled for over 2000 years and one sees remnants of that long history in the language, clothing and products offered for sale. The market stretches for several blocks and surrounds the church, la capilla de Santo Cristo, a church started in the early 16th century. We went for a late lunch and had a wonderful hunk of barbacoa de borrega (lamb) and several bowls of a rich, red caldo or consommé, which was filled with bits of meat and other parts. Of course, there were fresh blandas (tortillas) salsas, condiments, mescal. All were absolutely delicious.After eating, we wandered through the market, where one hears all sorts of languages from Spanish to Zapotec. People come from villages many miles away to shop or sell, so the scope of clothing as wide as the things for sale. Would you buy a matate from this woman? Claro, si! $1200 MP or $100 US, but they will last a lifetime. Make that lifetimes. Some women wear rebozos with floral prints, their hair bound up with ribbons. Others wear the classic black or gray rebozos.

These cauliflowers were huge, as big as my head.
I was using my little Canon camera and had somehow set it for "snow" so all the photos were half of success - they sucked. It was a live and learn moment. I plan to go back next Sunday just to reshoot this beautiful setting and will probably will take my trusty Nikon. It is big, but I am more comfortable with it. No guarantees that I won't screw up in a different way, but, of course, the truth is in just being there, not in the shooting.

In political news, yesterday was election day and the PRI once again emerged after the PAN's past victories. Low voter turnout says people are as sick of politics here as they are in El Norte. I am not sure this is change we can believe in. Who knows maybe the newly elected officials will declare victory and immediately resign ala Senora Palin. I am so confused... I vaguely remember being told that quitters never win and winners never quit. I must have had it backwards. I quit. So I guess that means I win. Where do I pick up my Pulitzer?

No comments: