The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Ice Cream, Mezcal and Vinegar

OK, it is hot.  The sun is beating down.  What would be good now?  How about some ice cream?  Or Mezcal?  Or maybe even a taste of an unusual and rare fruit vinegar?  Well, today was the first day of the the first ever feria, fair, “La Feria de la nieve, del mezcal y el vinagre” in Tlacolula de Matamoros and what a treat it was.  Tlacolula is such a special place any time, the market a must visit, but today was off the charts good.

The streets near the church were lined with local vendors of these taste treats.  One could walk from stall to stall, sample and if something struck your fancy, you could buy it on the spot.  I just wanted to dive in.
Look at all these flavors!  I think we sampled most of them.
The vinegars were so flavorful you could drink them by the glassful, but instead they gave you a cup of the fruit to munch on.  I had mango with a little chili on top.  ¡Muy rico!
Here is Arecely handing me my cup of freeze-the-back-of-my-throat nieve de mezcal.  So good!
These folks were selling Agave syrup that was so sweet and natural it was the first thing we purchased.  You could buy a large bottle for less than $7 US.  Think about that the next time you are looking at those tiny bottles in Whole Foods.   And totally organic!
Of course, we took a side trip to the market to get barbacoa de chivo (goat) and to see the new statue that graces the center of the market.
And yes, we bought some special mezcals, although sampling numerous kinds on a hot day was risky, so we mostly stuck to the nieves.

1 comment:

Magnetic Island Artist Edward Blum. said...

Thank you for sharing. Your people your culture an your story and compasion. Mexico to me is very specail its artist and art are amongst the greatest of all. T see and know of such a great and ancient civalization suffering is painful. I look at the faces of the people and they are so beautiful. I can not understand why people feel the need to exsploit and harbour great wealth and not share. I could not sleep under a bridge of gold whilst my neibour wanted. You area very good person, and sharing brings awarness. I wish you your country and people the best wishes. Greetings and love from Australia.