The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Monday, April 7, 2014

Viernes del Llano continued.... one last time.

On Friday we had our final installment of this year's Viernes del Llano, the series of popularity/beauty contests, presented by a different preparatory school each week.  After the previous two (this one and that one) that I have been to this year, this one seemed exceptionally lively and the place was packed with cheering and enthusiastic students ready with lots of flowers to be presented to their favorites.  These are a big deal and people turn out in droves to enjoy them.  They rekindle memories for many and are just another traditional part of the fabric of the city.  I can't entirely figure them out, but hey, no one ever seems to be bummin' and it is definitely a wonderful people watching time.
 After their initial introductions, the young ladies process in a circle and are presented flowers.
There are lots of sweet moments when shy guys get up the nerve to make their presentations.
 Lots of cheering sections this week.
 They were not messin' around this week.  I love how almost everyone in this shot is smiling.
Yes, there are judges.  I like the halo over the second judge.  The contestants are judged on how photogenic they are, how many flowers they get and if they have solutions to all the world's problems.... well, many not so much on that last one.
It starts slowly, but by the end the girls need lots of support in carrying the flowers. 
Fortunately, there are a few guys willing to help..
Ready for the runway.
Whew!  Am I glad I am not this guy.  That is some serious floral poundage.
And once again, there was the fun and challenge of getting nice candid portraits.  Given the nature of the subjects, it was not too hard.
I like this one.  I think they are mother and daughter, but certainly, two classic oaxaqueña beauties.
That's it for this year.  Now, we get ready for Semana Santa.

No comments: