The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Friday, January 6, 2017

Tres Reyes in Tres Reyes

Where better to spend el Dia de los Tres Reyes Magos than in nearby Tres Reyes Etla.  I was a bit early for all the action, but watched the mass and listened to the music and singing. Yes, it really looked like this, so bright and beautiful with all the papeles moving in the breezes.
 With valet parking of a sort.
 A sure sign of plenty of action to come.
I love the drama from the shadows....
Meanwhile, in the city, yesterday, they laid out the pathway of toys for the kids of the city. 
I've never seen the kids actually get the toys, but I am sure it is fun.
I am not sure how the whole thing works, but there were some pretty nice toys.
Again, I was a bit early and only caught the big kids eating snacks during morning recess.
So, Happy Three Kings Days! 

2 comments:

Lani said...

What are all the colorful things on the wall behind the "valet parking"? I zoomed in on the photo but can't tell.

Christopher Stowens said...

Hmmm... I'm not sure, but if I had to guess, I would say they are decorations made by local kids. I'll have to go back and check.